Clay Shirky, who popularized the concept of cognitive surplus, the time freed from watching television which can be enormously productive, talks in an interview about…Comments closed
Tag: Social Media
Published September 14, 2010 by Sebastian Waack
Mother: ”Turn off the iPod.” ”Stop with the video chat!” ”NO TEXTING while you’re supposed to be doing homework!” Son: ”MOM! Stop. I can concentrate…One Comment
Published May 13, 2010 by Sebastian Waack
This Video-Performance is banned from Youtube. So please be careful! You might find the performance by artist duo Eva and Franco Mattes aka 0100101110101101.ORG offending.…Comments closed
Published May 8, 2010 by Sebastian Waack
Erik Qualman says: “Statistics Show Social Media Is Bigger Than You Think”.
I would say: “Social Media Shows How Flexible Statistics Have Become!”
- Over 50% of the world’s population is under 30-years-old – That is right.
- 96% of Millennials have joined a social network – In this context, it is wrong! The truth is slightly different: Trendspotting found in a surveys on the US young generation that 96% of online teens/tweens report ever having used any type of social networking technology including IM/chat, text messaging and email.
- Facebook tops Google for weekly traffic in the U.S. – That is right. http://www.hitwise.com/us/datacenter/main/dashboard-10133.html
- Social Media has overtaken porn as the #1 activity on the Web – That is right since 2009. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2009/01/social-media-po.html
- 1 out of 8 couples married in the U.S. last year met via social media – I could not find the cited McKinsey study. Everyone on the web cites McKinsey but no one links to the source.
- Years to Reach 50 millions Users: Radio (38 Years), TV (13 Years), Internet (4 Years), iPod (3 Years)… – I could not verify these numbers but the authors cite http://cyberschoolbus.un.org/
- Facebook added over 200 million users in less than a year – That may be right, but only in the 6th year of facebook’s existence. If really compared to Radio, TV, Internet and iPod (point 6), it would be right to say: facebook (4 Years). Facebook reached 1 Million in 2004, 5.5 Million in 2005, 12 Million in 2006, 50 Million in 2007, 100 Million in 2008 and 350 Million in 2009. http://www.facebook.com/press/info.php?timeline
- iPhone applications hit 1 billion in 9 months. – 1 Billion what? Apples? However, one billion Downloads from the Appstore, to be honest. What is social about downloading an app for iPhone and iPod touch? http://www.apple.com/itunes/billion-app-countdown/
- “We don’t have a choice on whether we DO social media, the question is how well we DO it.” – Another question is how well we DO statistics.
- If Facebook were a country it would be the world’s 3rd largest ahead of the United States and only behind China and India – That might be true, but obviously facebook isn’t a country. Would you compare your TV to a country? Or your Mobile Phone? Otherwise you could say: Mobile Phones are the world’s biggest country. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_mobile_phones_in_use Continue reading Socialnomics – Nice Video, crude Statistics
Published May 5, 2010 by Sebastian Waack
“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table,…Comments closed